It's not every day that your life is saved by delicious, steamy pockets of junk food.
But that is exactly what happened to one Ohio man who's craving for a Hot Pocket sent him out of his apartment and away from an airplane crash that killed nine people.
Jason Bartley's apartment building burst into flames Tuesday when a twin-engine charter plane crashed into it. He would have normally been home at the time, but he had left to the store to buy some Hot Pockets.
"Really, I guess it was dumb luck," Bartley told NBC News.
Others nearby were lucky as well.
A teen who lived in the same apartment complex as the crash inadvertently captured the sound of the crash while she was filming a Snapchat video.
She lived in one of two apartment buildings at the complex that were not affected.
A GoFundMe has been set up for Bartley who only has his car and the clothes he was wearing at the time.
No one was in the 4-unit building at the time of the crash.
14 people are injured after a British Airways plane caught fire at Las Vegas McCarran Airport Sept. 9.
The plane was bound for London and the BBC has some details of the early morning scene.
The pilot later told passengers that the accident was the result of a "catastrophic failure of the engine", reports the Guardian's Jacob Steinberg, who was on board the plane.
"We looked out the window and for the first time saw smoke near the wing. We could smell it. It was like burning rubber - bitter and deeply unpleasant - and it was time to panic," Steinberg writes.
These days, of course, you don't have to rely on reporters aboard the stricken plane to get pictures and videos. Leave that to social media.
Those 14 injured peole were only taken to the hospital with minor injuries, so things could have been much worse.
It just goes to show you: Never visit Las Vegas.
If its just a regular rainbow, the people of Isle of Palms in South Carolina aren't interested anymore.
They were treated to the rare meteorological spectacle known as a 'fire rainbow' Aug. 17 and nothing will ever be the same.
Look at this thing:
According to Meteorologist Justin Lock, a strict set of conditions are required for fire rainbows to appear. First, they only occur in high-level cirrus clouds made up of tiny ice crystals.
"To produce the rainbow colors the sun's rays must enter the ice crystals at a precise angle to give the prism effect of the color spectrum," Lock said, adding the sun must be at an altitude of at least 58 degrees above the horizon. "Again, it has to do with getting the precise angle."
Lock says we often see the same kind of thing occur with colorful sunsets in which high-level cirrus clouds produce many colors because of the low angle of the sun reflecting and diffracting light, producing brilliant reds, oranges and purples.
It took off on social media as well and Instagram rejoiced.
Somehow it's actually prettier than that time lightning and a rainbow got in a fight.
It's a beautiful world, y'all.
A woman in Jerusalem was arrested this week for setting fire to a car because someone wouldn’t give her a cigarette.
Security cam footage shows the woman approaching a man at a gas station. After the rejection, she takes out a lighter and ignites the gas tank, which quickly bursts into flames.
Fortunately, the guy pulls out the pump preventing the car from exploding.
Here’s the appropriate way to respond to being denied a cigarette.
This woman is no Swedish Chef.
Nyhetsmorgon morning show host Jenny Strömstedt was attempting to make some snacks to celebrate “Cheese Doodle Day” Thursday, when everything went terribly wrong.
Watch as she flips the pan and accidentally sets everything on fire.
“I’m all shaky,” she later Tweeted with the hashtag #donttrythisathome. “Should not register for the Swedish master chef.”
Luis Ricardo played with fire, and as the saying goes, he got burned.
Ricardo was performing a fire breathing stunt on Brazilian TV Tuesday when his clothes accidentally lit up.
The video shows him running off stage in panic as the rest of the people on stage run around trying to put out the flames. The audience continues to clap, presumably unaware if this was intentional, and siren sound effects are heard in the background.
According to the report, Ricardo is ok and was treated for minor burns at a hospital in San Paolo.
Ironically, he warned the audience beforehand, not to try this at home.