fire

  • -
  • Vote
  • -

Unless you’ve got a fire extinguisher or three, good luck making a wish on this birthday cake.

You probably don’t know the name Ashrita Furman, but Guinness World Records sure does. He’s Guinness’ most prolific record breaker.

Having already climbed Mount Fuji on a friggin’ pogo stick, Furman took it easy on this one, enlisting Sri Chinmoy Centre to light over 70,000 candles on a single cake, smashing the previous record by over 20,000. This was done in honor of Sri Chinmoy’s 85th birthday, who would’ve probably agreed, this record is lit.

via Guinness World Records

The cake was a simple sponge cake with a vanilla mouse. However, it was also shaped like a huge rectangle, measuring 80.5 feet long and 2 feet wide, says Guinness.

Obviously, no one was blowing this thing out, so there was a team of people with fire extinguishers to put make the wish. Don’t worry. They were CO2 extinguishers, so everyone was able to chow down afterwards.

via Guinness World Records

Via RT
  • -
  • Vote
  • -

Fracking is a controversial method to extract gas and oil from rock. The process involves drilling deep into the earth and then using high pressure water, sand and chemicals to fracture the earth and release natural gas.  Apparently, one of the side effects of fracking is the ability to set water on fire.  More accurately, it seems to have released methane deposits from underground into the river. 

  • -
  • Vote
  • -

A tornado of fire chased firefighters in St. Albert, Canada into a river to escape. When a campfire in the area got out of control, the wind conditions and dry grass led to this terrifying hellstorm. Apparently, it's technically called a "fire whirl" as a helpful meteorologist on Twitter pointed out before providing this GIF explaining how it was created:


via @wxbrad

  • -
  • Vote
  • -

A Florida high school thought it would be a good idea to bring in some kind of basketball/fire breathing stunt to perform at a pep rally. 

The fire breather, Ricky Charles, is not a novice but he managed to engulf himself in flames while fire breathing on a bouncy castle. 

He's reportedly dealing with some burns on his face but he's going to be fine.  You can watch this video for a play by play of what happened and a picture/description of his injury. 

  • -
  • Vote
  • -

Preschooler Cloe Woods learned what to do in case of fire in a recent fieldtrip. Unfortunately, she had the chance to use that knowledge when her house caught on fire with her and her grandmother in it.  

She made sure her blind grandma had a hold of her shoulder so that she could quickly lead her out of the house. When everyone was safe, including the family dog, she ran to the neighbors and asked them to call 911. 


kangaroo rescue cute The Cutest, Saddest Baby Kangaroo is Still Going Strong After Severe Burns From a Wildfire
  • -
  • Vote
  • -

A wildfire broke out in Waroona, in south western Australia, leaving behind damaged property and lives.   The adorable photo has attracted a lot of attention.  The veterinary clinic that is taking care of him mentioned that the burns on his tail aren't affecting his balance so they are hopeful. They also released additional information after a massive response. 

I have had a lot of messages about this little man - yes he is a boy. Yes he has some bad burns but has taken this long to catch. We will definitely keep you updated on his progress! Nurse Frosina x

This little guy got some terrible burns but he wasn't the only one.



Pets, farm animals and wild animals alike have been affected by this tragedy. 



According to their Facebook page, all animals at this clinic affected by the fires are being treated for free. 

Via Rob Adair
  • -
  • Vote
  • -

Michelle Dobyne was having a quiet morning making breakfast when she discovered her apartment building was on fire. Speaking to the local news, she described her reaction:

"I got my three kids and we bounced out. Nuh uh, we ain't gon be in no fire, not today!"



Dobyne and the rest of the residents are okay, but will be without power for at least the rest of the week, since the building's electrical panels were destroyed in the fire. If any of the other residents are like Dobyne though, they'll surely be in good spirits.

news-nfl-video-tailgate-fan-fire-fail-buffalo-bills
Via Uproxx
  • -
  • Vote
  • -

You're not doing it right dude. Kudos to Buffalo Bills fans though for helping this beer-soaked idiot out.

Buffalo Bills fans this year have been ranked as the NFL's drunkest fans; and it seems like they're hellbent on one-upping the prior game's hysterical, purely irrational antics.

From this gnarly RKO awhile ago:

To this absolute depraved act of moonsaulting debauchery:

Stay safe out there Buffalo Bills fans!

news-video-dubai-fire-building
Via BBC News
  • -
  • Vote
  • -

Dubai's up in flames, and we're crossing our fingers this is just a sneak peek into the next unannounced 'Die Hard' flick.

Will the real Bruce Willis please stand up?

Dumb Luck of The Day: Man Saved From Ohio Plane Crashed Because he Left to go Buy Hot Pockets
  • -
  • Vote
  • -

It's not every day that your life is saved by delicious, steamy pockets of junk food.

But that is exactly what happened to one Ohio man who's craving for a Hot Pocket sent him out of his apartment and away from an airplane crash that killed nine people.

Jason Bartley's apartment building burst into flames Tuesday when a twin-engine charter plane crashed into it. He would have normally been home at the time, but he had left to the store to buy some Hot Pockets.

"Really, I guess it was dumb luck," Bartley told NBC News.

Others nearby were lucky as well.

A teen who lived in the same apartment complex as the crash inadvertently captured the sound of the crash while she was filming a Snapchat video.

She lived in one of two apartment buildings at the complex that were not affected.

A GoFundMe has been set up for Bartley who only has his car and the clothes he was wearing at the time.

No one was in the 4-unit building at the time of the crash.

A British Airways plane catches fire in Las Vegas.
Via BBC
  • -
  • Vote
  • -



14 people are injured after a British Airways plane caught fire at Las Vegas McCarran Airport Sept. 9.

The plane was bound for London and the BBC has some details of the early morning scene.

The pilot later told passengers that the accident was the result of a "catastrophic failure of the engine", reports the Guardian's Jacob Steinberg, who was on board the plane.

"We looked out the window and for the first time saw smoke near the wing. We could smell it. It was like burning rubber - bitter and deeply unpleasant - and it was time to panic," Steinberg writes.



These days, of course, you don't have to rely on reporters aboard the stricken plane to get pictures and videos. Leave that to social media.









Those 14 injured peole were only taken to the hospital with minor injuries, so things could have been much worse.

It just goes to show you: Never visit Las Vegas.

fire rainbow fire rainbow - 8554484736
Via 14news
  • -
  • Vote
  • -



If its just a regular rainbow, the people of Isle of Palms in South Carolina aren't interested anymore.

They were treated to the rare meteorological spectacle known as a 'fire rainbow' Aug. 17 and nothing will ever be the same.

Look at this thing:



The local news station explained the phenomenon:

According to Meteorologist Justin Lock, a strict set of conditions are required for fire rainbows to appear. First, they only occur in high-level cirrus clouds made up of tiny ice crystals.

"To produce the rainbow colors the sun's rays must enter the ice crystals at a precise angle to give the prism effect of the color spectrum," Lock said, adding the sun must be at an altitude of at least 58 degrees above the horizon. "Again, it has to do with getting the precise angle."

Lock says we often see the same kind of thing occur with colorful sunsets in which high-level cirrus clouds produce many colors because of the low angle of the sun reflecting and diffracting light, producing brilliant reds, oranges and purples.



It took off on social media as well and Instagram rejoiced.

Without clarity. So beautiful

A photo posted by Carole Rich Williams (@icrw70) on





Somehow it's actually prettier than that time lightning and a rainbow got in a fight.

It's a beautiful world, y'all.

  • -
  • Vote
  • -

Holy smokes!

A woman in Jerusalem was arrested this week for setting fire to a car because someone wouldn’t give her a cigarette.

Security cam footage shows the woman approaching a man at a gas station. After the rejection, she takes out a lighter and ignites the gas tank, which quickly bursts into flames.

Fortunately, the guy pulls out the pump preventing the car from exploding.

Here’s the appropriate way to respond to being denied a cigarette.

  • -
  • Vote
  • -

This woman is no Swedish Chef.

Nyhetsmorgon morning show host Jenny Strömstedt was attempting to make some snacks to celebrate “Cheese Doodle Day” Thursday, when everything went terribly wrong.

Watch as she flips the pan and accidentally sets everything on fire.

“I’m all shaky,” she later Tweeted with the hashtag #donttrythisathome. “Should not register for the Swedish master chef.”

  • -
  • Vote
  • -

Luis Ricardo played with fire, and as the saying goes, he got burned.

Ricardo was performing a fire breathing stunt on Brazilian TV Tuesday when his clothes accidentally lit up.

The video shows him running off stage in panic as the rest of the people on stage run around trying to put out the flames. The audience continues to clap, presumably unaware if this was intentional, and siren sound effects are heard in the background.

According to the report, Ricardo is ok and was treated for minor burns at a hospital in San Paolo.

Ironically, he warned the audience beforehand, not to try this at home.